VSO/ITTAT/Whatever!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're smarter now!

3 posters

Iran Election

Vandal
    Vandal
    Junior Petty Poster

Iran Election Empty Iran Election

Post  Vandal Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 am

So Iran held elections recently and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is President again. The opposition indicates that he won unfairly. They claim all the votes weren't even counted before declaring Ahmadinejad the victor. Demonstrations from the opposition during the day have been peaceful, but at night there has been quite some violence. Supposedly Ahmadinejad does not want a recount. My guess is that is because he didn't actually win. Personally, this seems like an odd way to run a Democracy, but I don't think they have been doing it for very long. Anyone have more to add?
    Command007
    Command007
    Executive Newbie

Iran Election Empty Re: Iran Election

Post  Command007 Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:43 am

Although the situation there is a bit unstable right now, this may be a good thing overall. The best way to bring about a regime change within a country is from the people who live within the country. The fact that the people are standing up to this is an excellent sign for the rest of the world and the people of Iran. If they are able to prove that the results were tainted it will show that the Iranian people want change and more of a diplomatic approach to dealing with other nations such as the US. The traditional government of Iran has been extremely stubborn on many international issues and has only isolated themselves on the global stage.

I hope the election results were false and are able to be clearly proven so. At that point the US can then condemn the fraud but at the same time praise the Iranian people and extend the wishes for the hope of diplomatic talks.

Let's face it, the US does not want another war in the middle east. For that matter I am sure the US doesn't want any wars. The Obama administration does not seem like an administration bent on war mongering and these last wars in Irag and Afghanistan have not gone well; obviously another approach is needed.
    Vandal
    Vandal
    Junior Petty Poster

Post  Vandal Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 am

I definitely agree with you and thus gave you a vote! The images from Iran are astounding. All the people gathered with the green wristbands is awesome. I didn't get a chance to hear what the Iotola said. He apparently just broke his silence recently. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing ends up.
    Feenix
    Feenix
    Newbie 1st Class

Post  Feenix Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Unrelated, but I accidentally hit the minus on your post, Guy. I wasn't aware that's where you vote on someone's post.
    Command007
    Command007
    Executive Newbie

Post  Command007 Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Feenix wrote:Unrelated, but I accidentally hit the minus on your post, Guy. I wasn't aware that's where you vote on someone's post.

I was a little confused when I read that Matt voted +1 but I was still at zero. No biggie, I am not here for internet forums glory. Cool

It is kind of in a weird spot, and they should also make the plus and minus options graphics so they are a little bigger.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:37 am