VSO/ITTAT/Whatever!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're smarter now!

2 posters

Terraforming Other Planets

Vandal
    Vandal
    Junior Petty Poster

Terraforming Other Planets Empty Terraforming Other Planets

Post  Vandal Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I encourage you to look this up in Wikipedia; it is fascinating. I never thought so much research was actually put into this. The hope seems to be that we will have a way to terraform another body in the solar system before we destroy Earth.
    Command007
    Command007
    Executive Newbie

Terraforming Other Planets Empty Re: Terraforming Other Planets

Post  Command007 Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Vandal wrote:I encourage you to look this up in Wikipedia; it is fascinating. I never thought so much research was actually put into this. The hope seems to be that we will have a way to terraform another body in the solar system before we destroy Earth.

I've read a little about this previously.

Although it was a TERRIBLE movie, the movie "Mission to Mars" with Gary Sinise was based on this premise. Basically Don Cheadle's character got stuck there and he was able to grow plants in this sort of "tent" so he was able to sustain himself in there. The movie is just awful and dumb overall though. Gary Sinise ends up encountering aliens and they basically ask him to stay and chill with them. So he does. End of movie. Retarded. rendeer
    Vandal
    Vandal
    Junior Petty Poster

Post  Vandal Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Jees, that really sounds retarded. Firefly really made me think about it actually which is an awesome show. They never explain how they terraformed, but it wasn't really crucial to the story. It's a crazy concept and there is debate as to its ethics. Some don't think it is ethical to change another planet. Others think it's ok as long as you only introduce new life and do not disturb existing life. Terraforming tends to suggest that you are taking a planet or moon which has nothing and giving it something. I think we will likely colonize the moon. I bet it will get started in our lifetime.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:35 pm