VSO/ITTAT/Whatever!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're smarter now!

2 posters

Change Wireless Router Firmware

Vandal
    Vandal
    Junior Petty Poster

Change Wireless Router Firmware Empty Change Wireless Router Firmware

Post  Vandal Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Has anyone here had experience with changing the firmware on a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router? I was directed toward some to try such as: DD-WRT, Tomato, and OpenWRT. My router is incompatible with Tomato so I am likely going with DD-WRT.
    Command007
    Command007
    Executive Newbie

Change Wireless Router Firmware Empty Re: Change Wireless Router Firmware

Post  Command007 Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:44 am

I've never done it, but I have the WRT54G. I bought it since it was a good router for the price and it had the ability to be flashed with 3rd party firmware. I heard really good things about DD-WRT. I looked into it at one point and the features it adds are pretty cool. You can do things like boost the power of the wireless and get better overall statistics about data throughput. I'd like to do it at some point.
    Vandal
    Vandal
    Junior Petty Poster

Post  Vandal Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 am

Yea. I think it will improve stability. It apparently resolves the "Linksys occassional reboot" that most are familiar with. I'm going to try it tonight. I'll post speed test results in the other topic before and after. It will be interesting if it makes an improvement.

I did the DD-WRT update and the router is running great. Time will tell if I really see a performace increase. The update wasn't that hard and went very smoothly.

Last edited by Vandal on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am